Friday, February 7, 2014

Seventy Times Seven


Dear God,

Forgiveness.

Jesus said to forgive someone 70 X 7. He did. A man asked him how many times we should forgive someone when they wrong us, and Jesus said 70 X 7.

I have read and heard people say that it was not a literal meaning. But you know what? It could be. If someone has wronged the same person 490 times, in my opinion, there is something wrong with the "wronger" (the one DOING the wronging). I think Jesus is saying here that there ARE limits when people wrong us. If someone WANTS to keep accurate records of the number of times a person wrongs them, and the "wronger" hits time number 491, THEN it is time for the "wrongee" (the person getting the treatment) to walk away. Jesus could have answered "every time the person wrongs you, you should forgive them". That isn't what He said.

There are people in this world that would keep track of such things. I know that one of my gifts is the gift of grace and I don't have the ability to hold a grudge. I hate to say this, but it bums me out sometimes that I can't hold a grudge when people are mean to me. But, I DO sleep really good every night as I don't take any grudges to bed with me.

Thank you Lord for grace.

Love,
Me:)


{Daily Scripture Reading: Matthew 18:21-35}
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=matthew+18%3A21-35&version=NKJV

Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my
brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven
times, but up to seventy times seven.
Matthew 18:21-22

No comments:

Post a Comment